Sunday 3 June 2012

Feminism (2)


Nik Musaini Nik Mustapha
For me, Macbeth is one of the masterpieces that Shakespeare ever created. Well, before this, I didn’t really learn about his plays. But I think this will be a great beginning. Maybe I’ll read more about his play after this. The issue that attract me the most in this play is feminism. Since I’m in secondary school, I am a girl that could be said as a feminist person. I don’t really like to mingle with guys and I will get mad even if they did a small mistakes. In Macbeth, I really like Lady Macbeth (I didn’t like her bad deeds but her spirit). She is portrayed as a spirited woman. Even Macbeth also implies that she is a man in a female body. For me, this speech shows the feminism of her character:
Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here;
And fill me, from the crown to the toe, top-full
Of direst cruelty! Make thick my blood,
Stop up the access and passage to remorse,
That no compunctious visitings of nature
Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
The effect and it! Come to my woman's breasts,
And take my milk for gall, your murdering ministers,
Wherever in your sightless substances
You wait on nature's mischief!
This show how spirited she is, usually a female is known as a kind hearted person. But Lady Macbeth wants to be a relentless person so that she can help her husband to achieve his dream to be a king. We always heard a saying that “behind every successful man lies a woman” but I think woman also have the power to make a man lose everything that he had; Just like our Lady Macbeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment