Sunday 3 June 2012

Weird sisters (6)


Nik Musaini Nik Mustapha
I think the three witches in this story is really interesting. They are in the opening scene of the play (which in my opinion to show that they play an important role in this story). They are portrayed as an ugly creature and not the residence of this earth. This can be prove in this part (act 1 scene 3):
What are these
So withered and so wild in their attire,
That look not like th' inhabitants o' th' Earth,
And yet are on ’t?—Live you? Or are you aught
That man may question? You seem to understand me,
By each at once her choppy finger laying
Upon her skinny lips. You should be women,
And yet your beards forbid me to interpret
That you are so.
Other than physical appearance, I also like their sisterhood spirit. They will always be together through thick and thin. The thing that attract me the most about witches is their mantra. I really like this mantra because it has a catchy rhythm:

The weird sisters, hand in
hand,     
Posters of the sea and land,
Thus do go about, about,
Thrice to thine and thrice to mine
And thrice again, to make up nine.
Peace! The charm’s wound up.
Then it strikes me, why three? Why not other numbers? Then my roommate tells me a brief history about witches. It starts at Salem, where they first discover about witchcraft and there is three witches that being caught. They were accused to start all of the chaos that happened at that place. Since then, it has been like a custom to describe three witches together.


No comments:

Post a Comment