Sunday 3 June 2012

Rational vs Coward ( FATIN NABILA 7TH POST)


MACBETH                   :    We will proceed no further in this business.
 He hath honored me of late, and I have bought
 Golden opinions from all sorts of people,
 Which would be worn now in their newest gloss,
 Not cast aside so soon.
LADY MACBETH           : Was the hope drunk
 Wherein you dressed yourself? Hath it slept since?
 And wakes it now, to look so green and pale
 At what it did so freely? From this time
 Such I account thy love. Art thou afeard
 To be the same in thine own act and valor
 As thou art in desire? Wouldst thou have that
 Which thou esteem’st the ornament of life,
 And live a coward in thine own esteem,
 Letting “I dare not” wait upon “I would, ”
 Like the poor cat i' th' adage?

MACBETH                    :  Prithee, peace:
   I dare do all that may become a man;
   Who dares do more is none.
MACBETH                     : Please, stop! I dare to do only what is proper for a man to do. He who
    dares to do more is not a man at all.

LADY MACBETH             : What beast was ’t, then,
    That made you break this enterprise to me?
    When you durst do it, then you were a man;
    And to be more than what you were, you would
    Be so much more the man. Nor time nor place
    Did then adhere, and yet you would make both.
    They have made themselves, and that their fitness now
    Does unmake you. I have given suck, and know
    How tender ’tis to love the babe that milks me.
    I would, while it was smiling in my face,
    Have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums
    And dashed the brains out, had I so sworn as you
    Have done to this.

Why Macbeth hesitate before killing Duncan? And only kill him after being provoked by his wife? Is he a rational person of just being coward? I don’t think that being coward is the main reason of his hesitation towards the killing.... it is because he is a very strong and brave person who can go through war with success... In my opinion, he is just a noble guy ....... I believe that he really appreciates the good deed that  Duncan has done to him.... and Duncan also expresses his love to Macbeth:

Duncan: Give me your hand : Conduct me to mine host : We love him highly, And shall continue our graces towards him. By your leave hostess.




No comments:

Post a Comment